What are Iron Infusions?
Iron infusions are a quick and efficient way to replenish iron stores in the body even in people who have problems with impaired iron absorption. At Empower Health, we use Iron Sucrose in our infusions (IVs). Iron Sucrose infusions are given in smaller doses (200mg) over a series, which is shown to be safer and less allergenic than other forms, including Iron Dextran, which is often done in hospital settings. Doing iron infusions in a series over 2 weeks with supportive nutrients, may lead to longer lasting increases in iron levels and less side effects than with a single high dose.
What do Iron IVs help with?
- Anemia, low ferritin
- Anemia of chronic disease
- Thyroid disease
- Autoimmune conditions
- Gut malabsorption
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
Why do Iron IVs with additional Vitamin infusions?
The administration of IV nutrients, such as vitamin C and B vitamins, following your iron infusions may help with both the absorption and cellular assimilation of the iron, which can be an underlying reason why past iron treatments have failed. These nutrients also reduce the risk of inflammation or irritation from the iron, while further replenishing and restoring your body’s nutrient reserves. Often iron is not the only nutrient deficiency we experience.
Conditions that Iron infusions can help with:
How many Iron IV Treatments do I need?
A series of 5 infusions of 200mg/each is scheduled over a 2 week period. 1,000mg is the recommended total dose to have a lasting effect on your iron levels. Then 3-4 weeks after your last iron IV we retest your iron levels. If your iron levels remain low, then another series of up to 5 infusions may be recommended.
What does it cost?
- Each IV: $215
- Cost of 5, when booked in a series is $975 (Regular price $1075)
Are treatments covered by health insurance?
Iron IVs are ordered by a Medical Doctor and since you will have a referral are covered by MSP. Iron IVs can be administered by a Naturopathic Doctor and are sometimes covered by Extended Health Benefit plans under Naturopathic Services. Contact your health insurance provider for details, or you can discuss with us when you come in for your first visit.
I’m in! What next?
- Download this Iron IV Information Package and Referral Form and take them to your care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) to fill out and provide a lab requisition for the tests listed on page.
a) Lab requisition can be attn: to Dr. Kailia #22783.
b) The referral form can be faxed back to us at 604 336 2845.
- Get initial labs done! – A detailed list of the labs needed are on page 2 of the handout.
- Book in with Dr. Joel Kailia for an initial assessment – BRING Your lab results with you!
- If approved, your IV’s will be booked approximately 3 to 7 days apart.