2555 Commercial Dr #208
Vancouver, BC V5N 4C2
Explore and uncover the complexities of who you are and the parent you have become. This is a unique multi-faceted approach, widening the lens and looking at the entire family system. It is an invitation to dig deeper into your family history and to explore your values and beliefs systems that guide you as a parent. It is an opportunity to explore parenting styles learned from your family of origin and understand how they are impacting with your relationship with your child(ren) today. It acknowledges the impact of intergenerational trauma, stress and anxiety and their effects on your nervous system at the root level. It is an approach that supports you to become the parent you aspire to be.
This program explores:
- your current parenting style
- making sense of your child(ren)’s behaviour
- the ways you respond to your child, especially when you are upset
- the behaviours that are working well to strengthen the connect you have with your child(ren)
- your communication style as learned in your family system and how that impacts the relationships in your home
- the individuality of each child in terms of development, mental health, temperament and cognitive ability and what is needed to support the growth of that unique child
Benefits of this program include:
- A stronger relationship with your children.
- Strategies that support you to create a calm and healthy environment for you and your children.
- Knowledge of how to adapt your parenting strategies to meet the individual needs of your children.
- Tools to support effective communication with your children, so that your knowledge and influence can support their lives.
- Self-care strategies that support you to be more available to your children while meeting the demands that come with parenting, work and life. Taking care of self will support the taking care of your children.
As a parent, you will leave this workshop with a clear picture of what’s really happening in your home and with the knowledge that you have 100% control in creating an environment that is conducive to fostering thriving relationships with your family.
Merissa Jennings-Turner is a Registered Therapeutic Counsellor and trauma therapist at Empower Health, and the director of the anxiety and trauma programs.
Sean Hannon is a Registered Therapeutic Counsellor, a workshop facilitator, parent coach and mediator, currently working as a family support worker at Hollyburn Family Services.